Education and Training
Diverse Educational Programs
The Sheriffs' Institute Scholarships
Sheriffs’ Institute Scholarship Program
The NYS Sheriffs’ Institute Scholarship Program for Criminal Justice Majors provides a $250 scholarship to one student majoring in Criminal Justice, Police Science or a similar program from each community college in New York State, and SUNY Canton, each year. The Scholarship Program was established to help young people across New York pursue an education in criminal justice.
The selection process takes place in the fall term each year. Nomination forms are distributed to the Criminal Justice Departments of New York’s community colleges each September. A member of the Criminal Justice Faculty nominates students to receive the scholarship. Awards are announced in early November.
The nomination process and policies are outlined below. This program is limited to students attending New York’s Community Colleges, and SUNY Canton, who are majoring in Criminal Justice, Police Science, or a similar program.
Scholarship Program Policies
Eligibility. The recipient of this award must:
- be a full-time student at the school in which the award is granted,
- be a criminal justice or police science major, or the equivalent thereof, with an expressed intent to pursue a career in criminal justice,
- be academically outstanding,
- be in a financial position such that the award will be helpful in his or her educational endeavor, and
- may not be related to an employee of Sheriff’s Office in New York State.
Qualifications and Conditions
- There are no restrictions on the purposes for which the scholarship may be spent. Nor is it considered a loan in any form.
- No Sheriffs' Institute Criminal Justice Scholarship shall be given to any Sheriff, Undersheriff, nor to any member of their immediate families.
HVCC Professor Shawna Addison, HVCC Student Matt Hopper, Renssalaer County US Pat Russo
Eric Watson Onondaga County Sheriff, Gene Conway
Barry Garigen of GCC Carrington, Wells Stuart Sousa, Livingston County Sheriff Thomas Dougherty
Sullivan County Sheriff Michael Schiff, SUNY Sullivan Interim President John Quaintance, Coordinator of Criminal, Justice Assistant Professor Robert Eiler